Sunday, May 31, 2015

Glitter and Glitz

Today's card is a departure from my usual designs.  I saw this technique and it seemed easy and dramatic so I wanted to give it a try.


Glitter-Thanks-11


Here's how I made it.  I started with a white cardstock panel measuring 4" x 5 1/4".  I used a product called Score Tape.  It's made in Japan and has adhesive on both sides.  One side is covered with a paper backing so it's easy to handle.  It comes in different widths.  I used 1/2" and 1/4" for this project.  The tape is on a roll and it's easy to cut into strips.  So that's exactly what I did.


Glitter-Thanks-1


After randomly adhering the strips to the cardstock I got out my mini ink pads and blending sponges.  I used Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed and Picked Raspberry colors, covering the entire front panel.


Glitter-Thanks-4


Now I was ready for the fun part.  I took off the top paper liner from the strips, exposing the sticky adhesive.


Glitter-Thanks-5


I found some Martha Stewart glitter almost the same color as the raspberry ink and dumped it all over.


Glitter-Thanks-7


After shaking off the excess glitter this is what it looked like.


Glitter-Thanks-8


I cleaned up some tiny imperfections and die cut a "thanks" word 4 times from white cardstock.  I stacked one on top of each other gluing them into one thicker word element.  I glued the word on top the glitter panel and popped it up on a white card base.


Glitter-Thanks-11


And there is the finished card.  It's a lot more glittery in person.  I might have to make a bunch of these in different colors.  Heaven knows, I have a ton of glitter to use up!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

New Color Combos

Hi.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I got some new ink colors and I have been trying out different color combinations so I'll be ready to make lots of projects.  Here are the new colors.


2015-In-Colors


Aren't they yummy!  Even the names remind me of wonderful food.


So, I took a pretty flower stamp I had and decided to play around.


Stippled-Blossoms-1


I used an older ink color, Blushing Bride and stamped the solid image flowers first.  Another stamp in the set is more detailed and is designed to align on top of the lighter inked flower.  Here's where I used one of the new colors, Watermelon Wonder.  Oh my, it turned out so striking and beautiful.  I was amazed at how easy it was.


Stippled-Blossoms-2


One of my faithful subscribers said it reminded her of the china pattern called Desert Rose.  It really does.  Wouldn't it be fun to make invitations to an afternoon tea with the girls using this stamped design?  And then use the china to serve the tiny sandwiches and pastries?  I'm seeing a party happening!


I stamped the leaves with Mint Macaroon first and then stamped Cucumber Crush as the second layer.  Stunning.


Stippled-Blossoms-3


This color combination worked out so well that I wanted to try another.  How about So Saffron and Delightful Dijon?


Stippled-Blossoms-4


Not as vibrant but it would look good in a grouping with maybe a fall scene.  Or certainly with some of the sympathy cards that we sometimes need to have on hand.  So, that is my playtime activity recently.  I hope you plan on stopping by tomorrow.  I have a dramatic card to share with you.


Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My Little Corner of the World

I have a different post for you today.  I'm going to showcase my craft room.  Now before I show any photos, I need to tell a story.  For 8 years I lived in a fairly big house.  4 bedrooms, 3 baths, a finished basement.  The area I used for my crafting was the size of 2 bedrooms put together.  Floor to ceiling, shelves all over the walls, 3 six foot sturdy tables, good lighting and lots and lots of space.  Needless to say, I was spoiled.  Fast forward a year.  We sold the house, moved across country and now rent a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house all on one level.  To say we downsized is an understatement.  I now share one of the bedrooms with my husband who needs an office area.  I purged like crazy when we moved but as we crafters know, it's all about the acquisition so my supplies will continue to grow and I'm slowly grabbing more of the bedroom space.  I have a VERY supportive husband.


Craft-Room-1


This is the main work area and as you can see it's pretty compact.  It's a very usable space though and if the truth be told, I think I get more accomplished with my supplies all close at hand.  As you can see, I have 2 windows so that makes it bright and cheery.  My husband was a drafter for a commercial cabinet company so we got the white melamine storage units made to order.  The upper shelves are all adjustable and it really helps as I'm constantly organizing.  They are extremely sturdy and the drawers have full extension slides.  The cabinets are perfect for storing craft supplies.


Craft-Room-2


Out of range on the right is a printer on a custom built stand.  Next to that is a large desk with my computer and file drawers where I keep all my cardstock.  Another furniture project made by the cabinet company.  I am happy with my little corner of the room and all the joy it brings me as I create cards for those I love.  Thanks!