It's been awhile since I've posted a project for the watercolor class I'm taking. Here's the finished card.
I love, love, love it! Now, here's the process I used for making the background. I started with a piece of watercolor paper. I've discovered there are different grades of this and let me tell you the cheap is not good. I got a pad of Strathmore 140 lb. and I love it. It's textured on one side and smooth on the other. This is very heavy weight paper and takes a lot of water, which is a good thing when you're experimenting and don't know what to do.
This photo shows my background almost finished. I was so engrossed in the process that I forgot to take some pictures along the way. I started with Picked Raspberry Distress Ink and swiped the mini pad across a sturdy acrylic block. The next colors are Spiced Marmalade and Mustard Seed. Each time I added a color it bled into the previous one. It looks really splotchy at first but I tilted and rotated the paper to allow the colors to mix.
You can see the process with the last color, Peacock Feathers. You would never think the ink on the block would look like anything but here's the result after stamping it on the paper.
Notice how it looks all wet and splotchy. I set the colors with a heat gun and trimmed the paper to fit on a white card base. I used a die cut from Hero Arts that allowed the background be the star.
I flicked some plain water on the background to create those cool water drops. Water reacts with the ink and actually lifts the color. I also love the pretty stitched detail that emphasizes the edge of the background.
So, THANK YOU for sharing in my card making fun!